Friday, September 15, 2006

Good bye Turkey.

I flew to Vienna from Istanbul because the train out of Istanbul would’ve taken a few days rather than the hour long flight and I didn’t think there was much point in revisiting places that I’d already seen.

Nothing was really notable about the flight itself apart from the red stockings on the lovely Austrian Airlines staff which kept me thoroughly entertained.

It was good to see Heidi, Silvia, and Helmut again, and I am forever indebted to them for their hospitality. As Heidi was working pretty solidly Helmut and I did things like hiring out DVD’s, watching TV, and eating takeaway pizza, it was almost normal; he didn't speak English but it was just what I needed.

As travellers know, trying to do simple day to day things in a completely different setting/language/currency etc. is one of the cool things about traveling. The unfortunate thing is, cue double edged sword scenario, the novelty wears off. I guess I’m missing the carefree days when I knew exactly when I was going to get my next meal/shower/tikka masala with a garlic naan, etc.

So I’ve decided to make some attempt to return to “normality” (what ever that is), and make my way back to England to get a good curry.

But before my curry wishes could be fully satisfied, a promise I had made months ago to some Danes back in Romania needed to be fulfilled. I departed for Berlin with my eyes ever northwards in the direction of Copenhagen.

No comments:

Post a Comment