Monday, July 10, 2006

Ljubljana, Slovenia. No cars, no bras...

The train in to Ljubljana (loob-lee-ana) takes a rather awesome scenic route that reminds me of road tripping the west coast of the south island back home. Forest everywhere but every now and then you can see the odd patch of cleared land where budding wine makers have their life style blocks.

I check in to this hostel that apparently was once a prison, honestly its a place you have to see to believe, all the rooms are ex-cells redesigned by Slovenian artists and... well... just look at the damn photos.

The evening is spent with a couple of students from ye olde England and we drink in the hostel bar in which weirdly we are the only foreigners. We eventually head out to a bar called Dr Skeleta or something similar, but I affectionately rename it, SKELATOR!!! Its a bar full of skeletons in the roof and walls and floor, to go to the toilet you have to push on the right book in the right book case, otherwise you'll embarrassingly end up in the staff room... like um... this um... dumb tourist from New Zealand did, but I didn't know him.

With the same guys from ye olde England I catch a bus to the lake in an area called Bled. I can honestly say that this place has got quite a lake, not big but beautiful, surrounded by mountains with castles, and with a large church on a small island. In fact one could, and one did say "would you like a touch of island with that church Sir?"

Finding a sweet spot where people are swimming we strip down and jump on in as its 35 degrees and we're wet through with sweat anyway. The lake turns out to be surprisingly warm and women are sunbathing topless. In fact one could, and one did say "Welcome to tit town boys, population somewhere abreast of tit-thousand tit-hundred and titty tit" to laughs aplenty. On closer inspection there were quite a few lookers but they unfortunately weren't the ones getting their gear off... Still the scenery will suffice.

In the evening following the lake I meet two different Englishmen. At first I think that they are gay bikers, however they bring up in conversation that everyone they meet thinks that they are gay bikers and I bullshit them and say " really? nah that didn't occur to me at all". We eat at a Mexican bar and the service is shit so we get a free round on the house.

After some good conversation we head to SKELATOR and the boys are suitably impressed. After a few cocktails each we head back to the hostel bar where we tell jokes and meet some local students. At this point the Englishmen head off to bed because they are English and the English as we know have weak bellys.

I go out to a few bars with some local students. Going out on the town in Ljubljana is hilarious as the locals travel between bars via bicycle. The fact that I don't have a bicycle doesn't seem to matter as I think I stole one from somewhere. We have a bit of trouble getting around as we're all quite wasted but as it turns out six people traversing gutters on mountain bikes while incredibly intoxicated is heaps of fun! I was almost sad that the trip to the bar was so short.

We all have an awesome time and at their request I teach them a Haka which they think is awesome, even the girls want to do it too but unfortunately I don't know any females Hakas...

Check out the photos
here:

No comments:

Post a Comment